Monday, October 25, 2010

EU BLOG

What should Great Britain do in regards to the European Union? Stay or Go?

I apologize for the delay in posting this. My internet access was down at home for the weekend and I just gained access to the website. Plus, as you know, I was out today so if you need an extension to Wednesday that is fine. My apologies for the delay.

6 comments:

Cecile Afable said...

I believe that the UK should stay in the EU with the sort of half-membership they currently have (by this I mean that they are members, are represented in the governing bodies of the EU, but are not on the Euro and do not follow all EU policies).

The EU has helped the European ecomony and also created a good environment for trade. The UK can stand to benefit from the trading opportunities, but may not necessarily benefit from sharing a common currency/economy with the rest of Europe. Popular opinion in Britain seems to be that giving up economic sovereignty would not be a good idea.

Tony Blair really emphasized the idea of globalization during his time in office. Either a country must embrace globalization or be left behind in isolation. The UK has nothing to gain by isolating itself from the rest of Europe. The current half-membership in the EU allows for Britain to have positive interactions with the rest of Europe without sacrificing national sovereignty.

Emily said...

I agree with Cecile, Britain should stay as they are. Staying within the trading market in Europe is important and having political connections is essential as well. But maybe some countries will get angry with Great Britain for being so half-in and half-out?
Also, to be honest I don't know what adopting the Euro would do to Great Britain's economy, but Gordon Brown seems to think that it would be detrimental to the U.K. and he seems to know a bit about economics. If the pound helps Great Britain maintain a better economy then they should stick with it. Because they should do what's best for their country.
Europe isn't exactly in shambles so I think they can stand to have Great Britain not be fully committed. Sure, Great Britain should help their neighbors and all, but not to the extent that they lesser their country in doing so.

Alyx_17 said...

I believe that the United Kingdom should fully join the European Union, but that is an outsider’s perspective that seems not to be argued by anyone in the UK.

I get both sides of the argument (even though I do not believe the United Kingdom is doomed) and understand how it might be annoying to be Great Britain and have so much expected of you, and so little to gain. I believe regardless of the EU, the UK would be involved of globalization. The only real benefit the EU has brought Britain is simpler, more efficient trade.

I believe that if today the EU decided that a constitution was not necessary and that they had no interest in expanding power, the UK would become a full member because they are content with the amount of involvement that they currently have. I do however wonder if the current spending cuts in England will lead to the country pulling out of the EU all together so they could put that money into bettering domestic programs.

HK4prez said...

Staying < Going




Devolution, is happening although I believe Vernon to have a bigger concept and idea that it is happening in a larger scale, for instance: London Assembly; East of England RA; East Midlands RA; North East Assembly; North West RA;
South East England RA; South West RA;West Midlands RA; and Yorkshire and Humber Assembly. Nine regions, compared to the four we know it by now: Whales, England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. Better yet, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Suggesting maybe the whole UK can be turned into common Regional Assemblies (RA)of the European Union. On behalf of
Liam, Melissa, and Rachael. I agree Vernon was a bit bias and a little against and idea of Devolution, in someway. However, Vernon can think that the independent states are accepted, like Whales and Scotland and N.I, but he's just looking out for England in the sense that, he believes England is loosing her identity. Something no one would like to see, duly noting, she is our mother country..was our mother country at a point.


If however the Countries, regions, or England herself joins the EU it will be interesting to see the puzzle conform and link together, how Liam mentioned, that in fact the EU needs Great Britain more then anyone realizes. If there was a strong economic region, like the EU. Just imagine the benefits for all the countries, and all of the world. Globalization? anyone? In this, my opinion is formed, if England went to the EU it would flourish, in time maybe or immediately. Thats the test I think Gordon Brown should have created, not if and how, but How and When.

Anonymous said...

There is a lot of “drama” about whether the UK should agree to the treaties the EU makes. I believe that the United Kingdom should become more involved with the European Union. Most of the countries involved with the EU are fully on-board understanding that there are many benefits to joining. They gain allies, have an easier way to trade with the rest of Europe and are a part of the “largest Single Market in the world” (Laming). Some politicians, like Gordon Brown, believe that there would be no benefit if the UK were to fully engage in the EU. He sees it as other, smaller countries, trying to “mooch” off of the more powerful countries. Well obviously countries are going to join the EU for the perks (the reason why it was created was to help stabilize Europe after WWII) and the UK would be receiving the same benefits as the other countries. He is afraid of giving up some of the nations sovereignty in regards to the euro. I do not believe that adopting a common currency would be giving up sovereignty. Personally, I think that if they adopted the euro things would become simpler. They would not have to worry about converting money and the ability to trade with other EU nations would be very easy.
As Cecile said, the UK has nothing to gain from isolating itself from the rest of Europe. Vernon Coleman, believe that the EU is trying to “destroy England as a nation”. I agree with everyone when they say that, that is just ridiculous. The EU may not be doing the best job so far, but the thing they need the most is a strong country, like the UK. It is difficult to successfully run an agency when you have people entering the group on many different terms. If the EU passes a constitution, their requirements, goals and expectations will be specifically outlined. If the UK were to fully join the EU, the domestic debates about entering would be gone and they would be making life a lot easier for themselves. If it turns out that there are no benefits to joining (but I believe there WILL be), there is also no harm. What did they do, make a couple new friends?

Mr. Pratt said...

Many of you bring up some very good points regarding the UK joining the EU. One of the problems that still exists, and I am not sure there is an easy resolution to this, is how do you convince the people of the UK that joining the EU would be beneficial. Many citizens seem to be satisfied with the current arrangement and in theory for the UK, "if it ain't broken, then why fix it". I am not sure many of the UK citizens view the EU as something more than a nice little organization that attempts to create economic and social harmony throughout Europe. The UK seems to be able to come and go as they please so why not leave it that way. Perhaps the pressure should be taken off of the UK and put on the EU Parliament. Prove to us why we (UK) should join, make a good solid case, and then maybe we will. Until that time, we are good where we stand.